Notice of Pre-Foreclosure Options (NOPFO)
Step 1 - Take Action
- Contact your bankimmediately and request a Meet and Confer
- You must respond to this notice in writing within 30 days to request a Meet and Confer; download our sample letter to send to your bank .
- Take notes when you speak with your bank ; date, time, name and ID# of person
- Open and keep all letters from your bank including envelopes
Step 2 - Seek Assistance
- Don’t delay! Contact a HUD approved Housing Counselor- your success rate increases and there are no fees for these services
- If you do not have a Housing Counselor contact Washington Homeownership Resource Center
Call Today! 877-894-4663
Step 3 - Be Aware
- Be prepared for:
- People driving by taking photos
- Realtors offering to sell your home
- Solicitations of help for a fee
- Offers or guarantees of loan modifications via the mail that are "too good to be true"
- Don't pay up-front fees
Step 4 - Get Ready
- Gather your documents and complete bank* required forms
- Provide documentation to your Housing Counselor to review and assemble
- Submit documents, if time allows your Housing Counselor will assist you
- Refresh documents every 30 days or as often as your Housing Counselor requests
Step 5 - The Meeting
- This is an informal meeting with your bank to review your options and identify documentation in order to complete the review of your package
- This meeting can either take place “in-person”, or via the phone with your Housing Counselor present
- Ask questions and take notes regarding your options and list any documents that are required to complete the review
Step 6 - What’s Next
- Continue to communicate with your bank and Housing Counselor
- Submit/Refresh your documents for assistance
- Prepare yourself for the next “official” notice—The Notice of Default (NOD)
- Don’t panic if you receive this Notice. There is still time, if you act immediately!
Only 30 days to respond from the date of Notice.
Will result in an additional 60 days before your next Notice If Notice is responded to within 30 days.